Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
I think I have covid.

Topic is Sleeping.

Lionne (original poster member #25560) posted at 11:26 PM on Thursday, September 22nd, 2022

I'm a lot sicker with a sore throat, headache, fatigue, etc., than I've ever been with a summer cold. Tested negative, will test again daily.
Anyway, do I need treatment other than fluids, rest, Tylenol, salt water gargle, etc? I'm 68, in generally good health, history of asthma but no symptoms for at least 8 years or so.
I'm a bit wary of pavalox, and know nothing about monoclonal antibodies

Me-BS-65 in May<BR />HIM-SAFWH-68<BR />I just wanted a normal life.<BR />Normal trauma would have been appreciated.

posts: 8528   ·   registered: Sep. 18th, 2009   ·   location: In my head
id 8756588

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 12:23 AM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

If you want to try supplements/vitamins you can buy over-the-counter, I'd get some Quercetin, Zinc and Vitamin D pills and start taking them with your fluids. The Quercetin is supposed to help the Zinc get into 'viral cells' so it can knock 'them' out, and the Vitamin D is said to help the body fight off invaders, too. Sorry I can't be more helpful than this, but from now on I know these natural supplements will be in my first aid kit.

Edited: Oops, my bad! Viruses don't have cells, duh. I meant: the Zinc needs the transport helper (quercetin is one such substance) to help it enter the "virus-infected cells" to knock "the virions" out!

Also, it wouldn't go amiss for you to get or renew a prescription for inhalant Albuterol, which you are likely familiar with from having had asthma. My doctor gave me an Rx for that, and I darn near had to use it back this June. I think I might have had some variant....started off with a wicked sore throat and overnight throat airway restriction, then the headache of the decade, etc. Lasted 3 days then tapered off, but it sure was "different." When I could not smell my Vicks VapoRub, wow...that was weird. First time in my life.

[This message edited by Superesse at 1:25 AM, Friday, September 23rd]

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8756594

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 12:58 AM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

If you are okay with breathing, then I think you are doing the right things based on what I was told when I had Covid in June/July.
But I do also have a summer cold- so annoying!

get well soon!

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8756602

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 4:57 AM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

Sorry to hear that Lionel! Hydrate and sleep.

BS Fwh

id 8756628

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 6:22 AM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

If you have problems breathing, go to the hospital.

It may take a few days for a positive COVID test, but best to be sure.

[This message edited by leafields at 1:47 AM, Saturday, September 24th]

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8756632

annb ( member #22386) posted at 12:29 PM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

I am 66 and got Covid. I called my internist, she prescribed Paxlovid. Read all the side effects, decided not to take it. I never had a problem breathing, just a bad cough and sore throat for almost two weeks, tired, slight headache, etc. Lots of fluids, I take zinc and D regularly. Ibuprofen for the achiness.

About 12 days in I went to see my GP because I thought I had an ear infection, my right ear was completely clogged. No infection. Told him about the internist prescribing Paxlovid, he was so glad I didn't take it, his quick explanation was that it is a horrible drug with multiple side effects.

I'd test every day for the next couple of days.

Feel better!

[This message edited by annb at 12:30 PM, Friday, September 23rd]

posts: 12195   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2009   ·   location: Northeast
id 8756665

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 7:50 PM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

Deal with covid cases daily and honestly if you've been vaxd 8t should not before than General sniffles/sinus pressure and blah for a few days.
I would encourage you to go to the nearest urgent care and get multiple virus tested. Most swabs test for Covid, Influenza, and even RSV AND strep. I'm seeeing a lot of Influenza A and strep right now. Both of which will make you feel like death warmed over.
Lots of fluids cool mist humidity rest zinc vitamin C B D. If you don't feel like eating drink some protein shakes to give your body the nutrients it needs to recover.

If it is Influenza or strep there are other meds to get you well.

I honestly have not seen good results with paxlovid and the current strains of covid. Plus if you are on a statin you should not take with it.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8756802

Lionne (original poster member #25560) posted at 8:04 PM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

Thanks, everyone. I finally got some zinc. I usually take it, with vitamin c and echinea at the first sign of sniffles. It really helped. Throat is a lot better although cough from drippy nose, congestion and achy muscles is a little worse. Fatigue and slight fever, 99.9 last night.
If I'm worse tomorrow I'll go to urgent care but I'd rather weather it on my own unless wheezing starts. Hope not, that's always a precursor to a rough winter for me.
It's been discouraging, health wise this year with headaches all summer, then foot damage from yoga, now this. I haven't been able to exercise even mildly so have gained weight. Which means my clothes, particularly my &$@+?!& bras are too tight, hate the things but being large means modesty requires some sort of coverage in company. I figure it is similar to what I went through with my kids, a healthy year followed by a challenge year. At least I hope that's the case. I hate to think this is the beginning of the end.
I'm not sick enough to sleep all day but am resting frequently. I just HATE having non productive days.

Me-BS-65 in May<BR />HIM-SAFWH-68<BR />I just wanted a normal life.<BR />Normal trauma would have been appreciated.

id 8756807

hcsv ( member #51813) posted at 8:26 PM on Friday, September 23rd, 2022

I live alone and when I got covid in May, I was really sick at first. 104.3 temp, the aches were incredible, even my cheeks hurt, couldnt sit or lay down because I hurt everywhere. I was scared to be that sick and alone so I got some paxlovid. Bad decision. Made me sicker. I wouldnt recommend it.

After 40 years, ex turned into someone I didnt know and couldnt trust anymore. Divorced. 1/17

id 8756811

ZenMumWalking ( Guide #25341) posted at 3:00 PM on Saturday, September 24th, 2022

aw crap ((((Lionne))))

You've been getting good advice. I hope you're feeling better soon.

((((Lionne))))

Me (BS), Him (WH): late-50's
3 DS: 26, 25, 22
M: 30+ (19 1/2 at Dday)
Dday: Dec 2008
Wanted R, not gonna happen (in permanent S)
Used to be DeadMumWalking, doing better now

posts: 8533   ·   registered: Aug. 28th, 2009   ·   location: EU
id 8756886

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 5:00 PM on Saturday, September 24th, 2022

I'm really sorry you're sick, Lionne. I hope you're better or at least no worse today.

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30215   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8756895

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 1:21 AM on Sunday, September 25th, 2022

((virtual hugs)) and whatever we are allowed to send (mojo? prayers? Good thoughts?)

Let us know how you are doing.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8756944

Lionne (original poster member #25560) posted at 1:32 AM on Sunday, September 25th, 2022

Ok, so not COVID if you trust 3 at home test.
But I just feel lousy... intermittent wheezing, easily winded, really achy legs. Stuffy, runny nose, dry cough.

Going to urgent care tomorrow. They are good, have a separate room for those with flu symptoms with a hepa filtration system.

Zinc, C, fluids continue. I am getting things done, albeit in fits and starts.
Then I veg for a bit.

id 8756946

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:07 PM on Monday, September 26th, 2022

Well what did UC say?

Are you feeling any better?

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

id 8757065

whatisloveanyway ( member #66450) posted at 6:07 PM on Monday, September 26th, 2022

Lionne, so sorry you aren’t feeling well. I have very similar symptoms. It took me a week to test positive. I am only taking Tylenol and otc cold meds but have albuterol in case congestion worsens. My H had much milder symptoms and is already better even though he did not have the updated booster yet. I had mine a week before exposure.
Hope your symptoms stay mild and you are feeling better soon.

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8757096

Lionne (original poster member #25560) posted at 8:45 PM on Monday, September 26th, 2022

Feeling MUCH better. Still achy and legs easily fatigued. So I never went to UC.

A week! Really? I guess I should test again, just to be safe.

id 8757109

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 8:58 PM on Monday, September 26th, 2022

Yes you should have gone, more than likely Influenza, watch out for a cough to start, and if it does don't mess w/ it, make sure you don't "wait for it to get better" I ended up with a pneumonia once because I was tough enough to fight it off. Um no I wasn't. I was not 100% for 3 months because of it.

id 8757112

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 5:22 AM on Thursday, September 29th, 2022

@Lionne - how are you feeling. Are you still testing? When I first started following this thread last week I thought, probably a cold if you've tested negative three times. Then I read whatisloveanyway's post and panicked tonight. We just got back this afternoon from Crater Lake National Park. I started to feel like crap yesterday while on one of our hikes, scratchy throat (no white spots which I get with strep) and really run down; we had to cut our hike short. I panicked because either way, if I had COVID, how was I going to fly home? And we were staying truly out in the middle of nowhere. I mean, no cell service, very random, limited wifi, closest grocery store with any supplies 30 miles away (there was so much to hate about this cabin that being sick only made it worse). My only saving grace is that I always travel with Afrin, particularly when we fly. Twice in my life when I've flown with colds, I ruptured an eardrum on the descent. It's excruciating. So even if it wasn't COVID, a cold could be just as challenging. I did wear my mask on my flight.

So last night I used the Afrin before bedtime; and I used it again this morning before our flight. We'd also brought some COVID tests with us, and I tested negative last night. H asked me what I would have done had I tested positive. Well, we would have changed our car rental to one-way, and drove from southern OR to SoCal. We landed late morning today, and although I felt run down and still had a scratchy throat, I wasn't quite sure I had a cold... until - when the 12 hours since I'd last used Afrin wore off, the congestion really kicked in, and it is just a full-on cold. Took another COVID test tonight and was negative, but now I'm wondering if I should test everyday based on what whatisloveanyway shared!

I can't take sudafed due to being on high blood pressure meds; and I can't take ibuprofen because I have some sort of reaction similar to asthma, although I've never been diagnosed as having asthma. So I have to rely on a Neti pot and Afrin, although the Afrin is only for bedtime. Don't want to use up my allotted doses without worry of rebound. Will have to make a run to the store tomorrow for some zinc and vitamin C. Just had a Vitamin B complex shot at my doctor's office last week, so I know my B is good. Need to up the D, too.

I also usually keep on hand something called Nose Better. It's a non-greasy aromatic relief gel you apply to the inside of your nostrils and it gives you a sense of being able to breathe better, and it just feels good when you've got a raw nose. But I'm out, and no one around here has any. So I ordered some from Amazon, but it won't be here until Friday. Gonna pull out the cool-mist humidifier tonight.

I can't believe how I dodged the bullet of not having eardrum issues on this morning's flight. Using Afrin last night, then this morning must have made a huge difference!

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8757469

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:23 PM on Thursday, September 29th, 2022

Regardless of the cause of congestion you should be using good old Mucinex. It is ok to take with high blood pressure and it thins the secretions, that and drinking lots of water makes it tolerable especially if you are using a netti-pot, cool moisture humidity, more water, and if you are coughing good old plain old robitussin or robitussin w/ honey. You don't need name brands either can get the stores version of the same.

Hope you all are feeling better.

id 8757496
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy