Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
Perfume after having Covid

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:35 PM on Thursday, October 13th, 2022

I spent a good part of today shopping in Belgium and as part of that checking out French and amazing South African perfume. I had never experienced this pre my think second bout with Covid at Easter (first was before the official pandemic).
Anyway, my nose found musky scents to smell like what I can only describe as a dirty ferret cage....I did used to work as a biologist and have smelled mink before and met the occasional fairly clean ferret pet after that but this smell thing is ruining a lot of perfumes for me. I also can't seem to cleanse my nose with coffee either.
It's like the smell persists in my head. And this is like 200 euro and up perfume (was going to get a few smallish tester size vials as a treat with a gift card I was given.
Any one else experience this sort of thing?

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8759369

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 6:27 PM on Thursday, October 13th, 2022

I did after having it in Jan.
Started not immediately right after, it was March, when I consistently smelling cigarette smoke, no smokers in the home, or nearby, never ever smoked myself. It is a disgusting nauseating smell to me, and it was like old smoke, like ashtray smell. It was fairly constant, but if I stopped and thought about what I was actually smelling, and take a few deep breaths it would go away. It went on for at least 6-8 weeks, and slowly got better.

Scientifically they say all the fixes that are on the net won't work to help get back to normal. I did start using a netti-pot daily for a while to flush things out. Don't know if it helped resolve it faster or not.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8759393

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 7:49 PM on Thursday, October 13th, 2022

Sorry you experienced that Tush N.
Old ashtray ugh.

My travel companion says the perfume smells great to them! Seems it's the perfumes with the musk in them synthetic or natural although natural is worse...ugh

id 8759400

Tanner ( Guide #72235) posted at 8:28 PM on Thursday, October 13th, 2022

Started not immediately right after, it was March, when I consistently smelling cigarette smoke, no smokers in the home, or nearby, never ever smoked myself. It is a disgusting nauseating smell to me, and it was like old smoke, like ashtray smell.

This is exactly what my W went through post Covid. She was finally able to distinguish the smell, but at first, she would wake me up I’m the middle of the night in a panic, "somethings burning!!!!"

I’ve heard some smell smoke and others smell poop, thankfully I didn’t have either.

Dday Sept 7 2019 doing well in R BH M 32 years

posts: 3544   ·   registered: Dec. 5th, 2019   ·   location: Texas DFW
id 8759404

Carissima ( member #66330) posted at 9:06 PM on Sunday, October 16th, 2022

It may not have anything to do with covid.
An ingredient used in expensive musky perfume is called oud. It's seen to be high end/exclusive.
Some people love it but to others it literally smells fecal or animalistic.

id 8759869

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 10:26 PM on Sunday, October 16th, 2022

I still have trouble with smells since I had Covid in July. I get the smoky smell, which freaks me out since I lost my home in a wildfire— I hate smoke smell now. Also, I have a hard time smelling if my cats have peed somewhere— which is usually super obvious. (The litter box I smell).

Hoping it resolves over time.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8759876

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 4:02 PM on Tuesday, October 18th, 2022

This is so interesting, especially about the smoke smell. I never "officially" had Covid. But I had some of the symptoms for a few weeks before my son came down with it and he was tested because of work. And he had it. Then my husband got the same symptoms. So I’m thinking perhaps I had it. Either way, it wasn’t a horrible experience luckily.

But I do smell smoke. Both of my adult sons smoke, but are not allowed to do so in the house. Sometimes when I think I smell smoke, I go to where they are and ask if they’ve been smoking. They just look at me and roll their eyes I do it so often.

I’m happy to know that there maybe is an explanation for this.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8760117

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 11:14 PM on Wednesday, October 19th, 2022

Still have issues with taste and smell 2.5 years later.

I’m a long hauler as they call it.

Not fun.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8760304

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 4:50 PM on Friday, October 21st, 2022

Thanks Carrisma. That explains things a lot!!

I have smelled good perfume before but I bet nothing this "high end".

I did buy the deluxe samples that have several fragrances in the package. I found that I can retrain my nose as I think it was Tush suggested. I think it may be a matter of proportion as the animal smell is the only note I seem to smell in some of them.

Overall I am happy to be alive, to have been gifted a dream trip, and to have the opportunity to be part of this great group!

Thanks!!! And gratitude!!

id 8761558

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 4:51 PM on Friday, October 21st, 2022

And sorry about the lingering effects 1st Wife.

Thoughts and prayers for full recovery.

id 8761561
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy