Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Can an ear piercing cause an inner ear infection?

Topic is Sleeping.

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 6:23 PM on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023

For my birthday in November I got a double helix piercing on the top of my left ear with spiral jewelry.

It's still getting crusty and very sore. Not unusual since my first helix in my right ear done ages ago was so bad I ended up taking out the hoop. Last year when wh got all of his piercings the person re did my helix and it heeled just fine. He said it had been done in the wrong spot.

I cannot move the double helix jewelry. It's very tight. I found conflicting advice. Where I got my daith done they said never touch the piercing, never rotate the jewelry, don't even clean unless in a shower. The daith was painful until I had new jewelry put in by the other person and was told to clean it daily and move the jewelry. It healed quickly after doing that.

So over the weekend my left ear started to ache inside then the pain got so bad I had to take meds and that just took the edge off. Today I put a hot compress on it and felt extreme pressure inside for a bit then total relief. But it didn't last long, it's hurting again. There's also alot of gunk from the piercing.

Can a piercing infection travel to the inner ear?

When I was a kid I had an ear infection in this ear so bad that there was a huge pop and loads of pus came out and I ended up with low tone deafness. I'm sure that has gotten worse since if someone comes up on my left side from behind and says something I usually don't realize it.

I dont think it's my sinuses because I can breathe fine and nothing comes out with the neti pot.

All I do know is this pain is awful.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25824   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8771895

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 8:24 PM on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023

My thoughts are no, but..... You could have an infection that is creating a lot of swelling and that is preventing your ear from draining normally, and thus cause pressure, pain, and infection.
Can you go to a Dr in the box, do you have those (Urgent Care).
I would definitely have it looked at you may need oral antibiotics if the infection at the piercing is out of control.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8771911

jadedangel ( member #26979) posted at 8:28 PM on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023

If your piercing is infected then technically yes it can spread. That's any infection.

I would get an antibiotic for the ear infection.

I have had the industrial bar. The first time, Right ear, never healed just right. I finally had to take it out.

Left ear, had it done, no issues and both times that I had the bars, I would clean them. I used Bactine spray.

I think I would also go back to the piercer and see what they would recommend.

Divorced 2007.
EXWH died 2011
Remarried 2018!

posts: 699   ·   registered: Dec. 30th, 2009   ·   location: Central City
id 8771912

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 8:37 PM on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023

Talked to my piercer earlier. He is putting in two hoops for me to replace the spiral.

I just realized the spike end of my daith hoop is missing. If it went into my ear while I slept that would explain the pain.

I'll be replacing all the hoops with ball/spike ends with closed end hoops.

I am going to urgent care now.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

id 8771913

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 4:55 AM on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023

11:39pm and I'm home.

Went to urgent care an hour and a half before it opened only to find the lineup so long I probably wouldn't be seen.

So I went to the ER. Pain was so bad I felt like vomiting and I was dizzy.

Over 5 hours later I was seen. No missing jewelry in my ear. Inner ear looks ok but outter canal is red and inflamed and infected.

I was given a prescription for 4 ear drops every 12 hours and given a steroid shot. I'm sore but the pain has eased that I just may sleep tonight.

Doc confirmed that the double helix piercing is badly infected and needs to come out. I'll tackle that tomorrow. My piercer can't see me until Friday.

I dont put anything in my ears. No Q tips. So just the canal being infected is odd isn't it.

The entire left side of my head was hurting so much. There's still so much pressure. I guess that's from the swelling.

I have to take the drops for 10 days but he said if there wasn't improvement to come back.

id 8771981

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 12:55 PM on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023

It is from the infection spreading causing the swelling.

[This message edited by tushnurse at 12:56 PM, Wednesday, January 4th]

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8771999

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 4:18 PM on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023

I am so wiped. I slept for a bit. Woke up when wh got up so about 3 hours of sleep then dozed on and off until 9.

I could just lay in bed all day.

id 8772023

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 4:25 PM on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023

Jadedangel

Wh has the industrial and said it was the most painful one he got. He has 15 piercings. His biggest issue is his hair catching it.

I wanted the helix done on each side because I have jewelery that hangs from the helix to the lobe. They are really pretty.

Our girls just got their ears pierced last June. Both of them react badly to anything other than silver or surgical steel.

id 8772026

jadedangel ( member #26979) posted at 10:17 PM on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023

Oh yeah, my hair would catch in them. But the first industrial was by far my worse one since it would never healed. It would just stay sore, never healing completely, probably didn't help that I would hit it with something like a comb or hair pick and so I just took it out. I had my tragus (no issues there) done there and that industrial bar.

Eventually I tried the industrial bar again. I did the other ear but also went to a different place and had no issues what so ever. That place became my go to for some other piercings I had done.

Now I have no piercings but just my earlobes.

The double helix jewelry that you described does sound pretty! Get your ear healed first then try again!

Divorced 2007.
EXWH died 2011
Remarried 2018!

posts: 699   ·   registered: Dec. 30th, 2009   ·   location: Central City
id 8772098
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy