Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Trip to Austria--what to bring/pack?

Topic is Sleeping.

Catwoman (original poster member #1330) posted at 6:07 PM on Thursday, February 2nd, 2023

I'm touring Austria with my choir this summer (late June/early July). Having never traveled internationally, what are the things I must bring, and what can I do without? Please let me know ALL your thoughts.

Cat

FBS: Married 20 years, 2 daughters 27 and 24. Divorced by the grace of GOD.
D-Days: 2/23/93; 10/11/97; 3/5/03
Ex & OW Broke up 12-10
"An erection does not count as personal growth."

posts: 33182   ·   registered: Apr. 5th, 2003   ·   location: Ohio
id 8775833

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 7:17 AM on Friday, February 3rd, 2023

Definitely a travel plug adapter. Maybe a couple of them.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8775893

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 10:10 AM on Friday, February 3rd, 2023

Congrats Cat! Enjoy!!
Well deserved! Bravo!

This is less of a thing to bring and more a general suggestion of considering having things like global reentry just to be able to spend less time in customs.

I also like having tsa precheck.

As for stuff to bring, I found it helpful to have a small packable backpack (mine came from Eddie Bauer). Also a nice shawl blanket travel sweater (can buy at same place).

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8775896

BraveSirRobin ( member #69242) posted at 1:53 PM on Saturday, February 4th, 2023

Look into international cel phone service ahead of time. Decide whether you want an add-on to your plan or if you can get by with an app like Signal on available wifi.

Bring at least some of the local currency with you. I used to think, "Eh, I'll just take it out of an ATM at the airport when I get there." Then I got stuck in the Bergen airport because the ATM didn't recognize my credit/bank card. The PIN got locked because I'd made too many attempts. I called the bank and they reset it, but they said it might take 2 hours for the reset to be effective. Until then, the whole card was locked, not just the cash withdrawal function. I couldn't take the shuttle downtown because they didn't accept the other type of card I had with me. This is actually a very abridged version of the whole saga, and of course, it wouldn't have happened if I was traveling with a group and could have borrowed some $$. But still, I'll never enter a foreign country again without at least $100 in negotiable cash. You can order it through your local bank a few weeks before you go.

WW/BW

id 8776180

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 9:08 PM on Saturday, February 4th, 2023

I agree with Brave Sir Robin. Also figuring out the public transportation app ahead of time if you are spending any time in the city.

My cell phone provider massively let me down in Belgium. It was supposed to be $10 a day. They were doing some sort of cell tower upgrade so it turned into a mess. But the process of just taking my phone off airplane mode worked well for me.

id 8776232

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 9:10 PM on Saturday, February 4th, 2023

Ps make sure your credit card works internationally. A friend gave me a $250 visa gift card to use during my trip just to be nice and it worked on Google pay in the states but not in the EU

id 8776234

BrokenheartedUK ( member #43520) posted at 9:56 PM on Saturday, February 4th, 2023

Using WhatsApp for phone calls and texts is key for international travel. Use WiFi wherever you find it.

Use melatonin for your jet lag. It’s fantastic.

Use Apple Pay in Europe. My youngest daughter is currently in Amsterdam and that’s all she’s using.

European temperatures have fluctuated wildly in the summer in recent years. Bring layers!! Bring a pair of comfortable shoes for walking and sightseeing. Try and wear something a little trendy like white sneakers which you can wear with dresses and jeans. There won’t be air conditioning everywhere so prepare for a possible heat wave in terms of clothing.

Keep an open mind about food and drinks. Europeans aren’t big on ice in drinks and iced tea but the coffee is fabulous.

Research best restaurants in Vienna ahead and book one place so you have that plan.

You’ll have a ball!!

Me: BS
He cheated and then lied. Apparently cheaters lie. Huh. 13 months of false R. Divorced! 8/16 3 teenage kids
"The barn's burnt down
Now
I can see the moon"
-Mizuta Masahide

id 8776243

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 2:01 AM on Sunday, February 5th, 2023

You can consider setting up separate bank account with debit card that is not connected to any other accounts. And then just put enough for your trip (plus emergency funds) in it. If your card gets compromised, you will limit the damage. Also for credit cards make sure yours have the tap to pay (or use Apple Pay). Most places don’t have or dont want to deal with the chip and printing out the receipt for signature. Also get the little RFID blocking sleeves for your cards— it protects them from being electronically broken into. You can get an RFID wallet, but the sleeves work great and are very inexpensive.

Comfy shoes (cobblestones!), adapters, etc. I like a cross body bag that ZIPS closed so you can have it in front of you. I like bagalini bags, but there are many good ones out there.

It will humid, so plan accordingly.

How long is your trip?

Have fun!

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8776253

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 4:28 AM on Sunday, February 5th, 2023

Will you have free time to explore on your own? Or is your schedule pretty tight?

If you have time, I'd suggest researching your options well in advance by using Trip Advisor dot com. They have forums where you can learn SO much. Remember, almost anything that you might 'forget' to bring, you can buy over there. If you are on any meds, be sure you have double what you'd need for the length of time you're going to be gone. That way, if you get stranded (i.e. you get COVID and can't return when scheduled), you're covered.

I always fly with a travel pillow so I can rest. The one I have is inflatable and provides more support than the cushy ones that just sort of let your head drift off to the side, then down. If you Google 'Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Traveller Inflatable Neck Pillow', that's what I have. It deflates to take up extremely minimal space in your carry-on, unlike the cushy pillows.

I've been to both Salzburg and Vienna, on two different trips and at two different times of the year. I'm only saying this because you obviously are a musician... if you plan on attending any classical or opera performances while there, take something dressy to wear. They dress up more over there for that kind of event, than we do in the states.

Consider taking a journal. You will be so busy with activities, that it will all start to blur. When we went to several countries in Europe one year, I wrote in my journal every night, just describing the day's activities. I was so appreciative of that when I got back home... man, did we do a lot of stuff!

Austria is nice in that the large majority of residents speak English pretty well, but it might help to download a translator app on your phone in case you need to look up some German words.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8776265

WaryOptimist ( member #19911) posted at 5:48 AM on Sunday, February 5th, 2023

I second having local currency with you before you arrive, also I believe it's still true that using a credit card saves on the exchange rate. Make sure to alert your card company to your travel plans, though.

Temperatures vary significantly from the valleys to mountains. Do the layer thing. Scarves are great as wraps and dress ups. Good walking shoes are a must. Make sure to do Sacher torte and coffee in the Viennese cafes. Enjoy.

Me: The faithful one Him: WS 4 incredible, grown kids Married 37 years, together 44 D-Day: April 1, 2006 (yep, April Fool's Day...)Aaaas Yoouuu Wiiiish...

posts: 736   ·   registered: Jun. 16th, 2008   ·   location: Here & There
id 8776270

BraveSirRobin ( member #69242) posted at 6:11 AM on Sunday, February 5th, 2023

Oh, and if you don't have a passport already, apply right now. The passport office isn't as backlogged as it was last year, but you want to leave yourself time to resubmit if you make a mistake. Emergency expedition of your application is costly, inconvenient, and stressful.

Don't forget your vaccination card.

WW/BW

id 8776271

Catwoman (original poster member #1330) posted at 6:44 PM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

Passport is current (renewed two years ago--I never let it expire). I'm going to be in Salzburg, then going to Slovenia and Croatia as well. Our schedule is pretty much tied up in rehearsals, some group touring, but there will be some free time. I'm thinking about going to Nonnberg, certainly. I will be singing in the Dom, so no need to put that on the list (actually performing there Saturday AND going back to perform at mass on Sunday). I don't think I will have time to get to Vienna, though.

I need a good bag (I'm going to check it). I'm thinking a hard-sided one vs. soft sided. Thoughts?

Ex & OW Broke up 12-10

id 8779636

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 8:53 PM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

I’m a soft-sided fan - carry-on size with the ability to expand. But I know folks who are really big fans of hard-sided.
Are you planning to check or carry-on?

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8779659

Catwoman (original poster member #1330) posted at 2:55 PM on Tuesday, February 28th, 2023

I'm going to check my primary bag and carry on a backpack and my purse. I'm thinking hard-sided since there are a LOT of transfers and the bag will be riding not only on the plane, but on our bus as well (we will travel via bus from Munich to Salzburg and then from Salzburg to Slovenia (two cities) and Croatia (one city).

Ex & OW Broke up 12-10

id 8779781

Gottagetthrough ( member #27325) posted at 9:21 PM on Saturday, March 11th, 2023

I went to school in Salzburg! You’ll love it. Very low key. Vienna is amazing but a big city.

I loved the old part of Salz. There is a river that separates the old from the new.

The desserts were out of this world. Many cafes that line the street in old city and you wont go wrong with whatever you order.

The Mirabelle gardens are there and that’s where the sound of music was filmed. You too can run through that arch of foilage like Julie Andrews! laugh

I was there oof 28 yrs ago so my memory is escaping me on lots, but its beautiful and walkable and the bus system is easy. Bring an adapter, its HOT then and atleast in 1995 they didnt have air conditioning so bring cooler clothes. I would also bring a pack of disenfecting wipes- the ones you can have in your purse. Sunglasses bug spray (my roomie was eaten up by mosquitoes when i would leave my window open at night… mosquitoes usually dont like me, but i remember shenhad a huge red welt on her eyelid one morning!)

Sturdy shoes for walking and thick socks. Maybe even compression socks for the flight? Last flight I had, I brought snacks for the plane (small bags of crackers, bananas, oranges)

Thats what i can think of! And its a big place, you’ll be able to buy it if you forget it!

[This message edited by Gottagetthrough at 9:22 PM, Saturday, March 11th]

id 8781753

Gottagetthrough ( member #27325) posted at 9:25 PM on Saturday, March 11th, 2023

Also, bring a book if you like
To read. I feel like we get too caught up in phones and a book is nice if yoire having coffee at a cafe. Just my 2 cents

id 8781754
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy