Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
What is wrong with people?

Topic is Sleeping.

Jeaniegirl (original poster member #6370) posted at 2:13 AM on Tuesday, February 14th, 2023

I'm pausing here from my work-laden day to express disgust at people who ABUSE social media. What the hell is wrong with people? Are they crazy? Bored. Sociopaths? (I think I just described most of my everyday clients)

This afternoon I received a picture on my phone (text from a friend) of a newborn baby that was supposedly left in a dumpster in the town nearest me. I'm 9 miles from any 'township' and live out in the country - but I claim this small town as my own. Population 6500. Farmers. Lots of retired people. This picture went viral around here because the dumpster is supposedly in our little town and while the newborn baby is alive, it's critical. Of course if baby dies, there will be murder charges if the 'dumper' could be found.

But after some quick research, I found this is fake news. And here half the little town is up in arms (literally!) wanting to find the people who dumped a newborn baby, in a garbage bag, into a dumpster, in our little peaceful town. What satisfaction can the poster - and those who spread such rumors - get out of this??

I found the photo was first circulated in New Mexico a few months ago. So who KNOWS if there was a real baby dumped and if it survived and where it is. Picture is very real.

In the past I've almost lost friends because I have refused to join FB and other social media sites. SI is my only social media. smile

There are several reasons I have not signed on to any of them -- mainly my work and I don't have time - but also there seems to be no privacy and I've heard people talking about posting their every move on social media.

There ARE (have to be!) millions of responsible users of social media or it wouldn't be so popular - but it seems to me the nuts are trying to take it all over.

I deal with 'ugly' all day, every day - and seeing a picture of a newborn baby still tugged at my heart. I hope wherever that baby is, he/she is alive.

Ironically, the same friend who sent the text to me had her bank account hacked for $500 today.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8777563

HFSSC ( member #33338) posted at 1:13 PM on Tuesday, February 14th, 2023

I think there is a mixture of types of people contributing to this.

First, there are some malicious jerks creating viruses and malware for whatever thrill or reward they receive.

But second, and I believe there are MANY more of these, are the people who just mindlessly share anything that catches their eye or their emotions. Those are honestly more of a problem, IMO, and I get more irritated by them.

There aren’t and have never been people spiking Halloween candy with drugs. Never. It’s NEVER been credibly confirmed. And as a recovering addict I can promise you nobody is wasting their own stash on strangers’ children. But damned if the whole world doesn’t have to blow up every October warning parents about this nonexistent hazard. Meanwhile, the true threats… family members, that neighbor guy who is always SO NICE to the kids.. fly under the radar.

The “inspirational posts” attributed to some celebrity also drive me crazy. That picture of Steve Jobs withered away from cancer with a misattributed quote about what really matters in life… takes maybe two clicks to find out he never said that.

John Wayne did receive a fan letter from Robert Schuller’s daughter but it was not a letter entreating him to follow Jesus.

I (privately) corrected someone on that one once and she went scorched earth on me.

Whatevs. These days if I’m feeling bitchy I will post the Snopes link as a comment. Mostly I just scroll on, with a little less respect for the person who posted whatever.

Me, 56
Him, 48 (JMSSC)
Married 26 years. Reconciled.

posts: 4962   ·   registered: Sep. 12th, 2011   ·   location: South Carolina
id 8777624

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:50 PM on Tuesday, February 14th, 2023

My MIL is terrible about sharing the scam posts about abused/hurt animals. She is a HUGE animal lover, and older, so she doesn't spy it.
Every time she shares one my H will post a response - Mom- This is a SCAM. And she deletes it.
But a lot of this is done to raise $$$ for a false pretense.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8777629

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 2:58 PM on Tuesday, February 14th, 2023

Been in IT for over 30 years. Reminds me of the early virus days when people would ask why they did it. This was well before the idea of encryption made malware a business opportunity. They would do it for the notoriety or to make themselves feel big. They didn't care about burning things down. Just that to be able to say look what I did, even if they couldn't out loud.
This is the mindset of those who start these. All they care about is the rush of being the person responsible. They have no care of any repercussions or disruptions it causes. Then you have the "victims" who are the same ones who perpetuated chain letters back in the day. A little bored maybe.

Ironically, the same friend who sent the text to me had her bank account hacked for $500 today.

There's a number of social media memes going around that some in the security field suspect were started to collect answers to secret questions. You know the ones that are typically used as security measures on same sites for things such as password resets or second factor answers for new machines. Like the following one. I cringe every time I see one making the rounds. You add the unlikely to be documented elsewhere from the results of that (favorite color where you were born) and publically available info and you basically have what you need to answer those questions.

40 odd things about me . . . Please play along! I love reading them - these are fun. Keep it going!!
1. Do you put ketchup on hotdogs? Yes
2. Choice of Soda? Diet coke
3. Do you put salt on watermelon? Yes
4. Can you swim? Yes
5. How do you eat your steak? Medium rare
6. Favorite type of food? Italian
7. Do you believe in ghosts? Yes
8. What do you drink in the morning? Diet coke
9. Can you do 100 push ups? Probably not
10. Summer, Winter, Spring or Fall? Winter
11. Your favorite animal? All
12. Tattoos? 0
13. Do you wear glasses? Yes
14. Do you have a fear? Dying alone
15. Do you have a nickname? xxxxxx
18. Rain or Snow? Snow
19. Can you change a tire? Well yeah
20. Favorite flower? Chinese lilies
21. Can you drive a stick? Yes
22. Ever gotten arrested? Yes
23. Children? 0
24. Favorite color? Blue
26. Can you whistle? So so
27. Where were you born? Jewish hospital downtown
28. Surgeries? 9+
30. Shower or Bath? Shower
31. Last song you heard? Believe
32. Broken bones? 0
33. How many TV’s in your house? 2
34. Worst pain? Loss my Parents
35. Do you like to sing? Yes
36. Are your parents still alive? No
37. Do you like to go camping? Yes
38. What do you binge watch? Yellowstone
39. Pumpkin or pecan? Neither
40. A photo of yourself:

id 8777645

Jeaniegirl (original poster member #6370) posted at 6:57 PM on Tuesday, February 14th, 2023

Gullible people. The baby in trash story came from FB and I guess some believe if it's on FB, it has to be true.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8777677

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 2:38 AM on Thursday, February 16th, 2023

In the vain of false stories, and sociopaths, I saw today that 13 school districts in the Boston area were 'swatted', meaning someone is calling 911, claiming there are active shooters at schools.

I mean, how horrific is that? All of those students panicking when first responders show up, until they realize it was a swatting call. And the trauma for all of the first responders who think they're coming to the aid of students and staff members and don't know what they're going to find.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8777868

Tanner ( Guide #72235) posted at 2:55 AM on Thursday, February 16th, 2023

I’m a Christian

But so tired of the if your want a blessing type Amen and share this Jesus picture.

Well I’m never gonna be blessed because I scroll on.

Dday Sept 7 2019 doing well in R BH M 32 years

posts: 3544   ·   registered: Dec. 5th, 2019   ·   location: Texas DFW
id 8777872

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 2:59 AM on Thursday, February 16th, 2023

Amen Tanner. laugh

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8777875

josiep ( member #58593) posted at 5:40 PM on Saturday, February 18th, 2023

I use Facebook for genealogy but have a really sweet Chrome extension that kills the newsfeed so when I sign in, all I see is a quote by a historical figure. From there, I go to the pages I’m working with, provide or receive the info I’m researching and sign off.

And if I want to, I check my daughter page for pics of the grandkids.

Without that extension, I’d quit using it because of all the nonsense now that FB shows me stuff from more than just the pages I’ve designated as "friends."

They’re catering to the ignorant and pretty soon, there’ll be no one left except the idiots.

BW, was 67; now 74; M 45 yrs., T 49 yrs.DDay#1, 1982; DDay#2, May, 2017. D July, 2017

id 8778416

hopefull77 ( member #43221) posted at 11:56 AM on Tuesday, February 21st, 2023

I got rid of all the "time suckers" Fake Book Instagram
I found people will write things that they would never say face to face.
I look around and people are not even talking to each other! They are on their phones ... Looking down ... Paying no attention to their suroundings! Plastic surgeons will make the big bucks fixing all the jowls on the faces from everyone constantly looking down!

me-BS him-WS

" I will not define myself by what went wrong yesterday when I can draw upon Life and Love right now."

posts: 2885   ·   registered: Apr. 24th, 2014   ·   location: sunny california
id 8778695

Justsomeguy ( member #65583) posted at 3:21 PM on Tuesday, February 21st, 2023

Yeah, not a big social media guy, so I don't get the need to post selfies or what mood I'm in. That's what you guys are for! The only reason I keep FB is to connect with friends via PM and using marketplace.

I think the larger symptoms is the desperate need for notoriety which stems from a deeper issue, the lack of intimacy in our culture. We all want to feel connected, that we somehow matter, and heaven forbid, we die, that we will, at some level, be missed. So the social isolation we suffer has prompted us, like drowning people, to grasp at any and everything we can. Hence social media. It provides that instant gratification and validation that we crave. Having a bad day, post your mood and get some meaningless emojie responses that cost nothing, require no authentic effort on the part of your "friends". Hell, even the term friend has been watered down so much to render it meaningless to some degree.

I'm an oulier in my positions.

Me:55 STBXWW:55 DD#1: false confession of EA Dec. 2016. False R for a year.DD#2: confessed to year long PA Dec. 2 2017 (was about to be outed)Called it off and filed. Denied having an affair in court papers.

Divorced 20

posts: 1849   ·   registered: Jul. 25th, 2018   ·   location: Canada
id 8778719
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy