Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Hair Loss

Topic is Sleeping.

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 11:48 PM on Friday, February 24th, 2023

Any women out there that know of any products or prescriptions that remedy menopause hair loss. I'm blessed that I always had such thick hair, because now, only I notice that it's not as thick. But I still want it thicker again. The internet has so much propaganda from BS companies selling their quack remedies. Most will have you wasting your money. I come on here in the hopes that someone found something that actually helps.

"Bitch please a good man can't be stolen." ROFLMAO - SBB: 7/2/2014

posts: 6101   ·   registered: Aug. 8th, 2013   ·   location: AZ
id 8779333

annb ( member #22386) posted at 5:30 PM on Sunday, February 26th, 2023

I'm post menopausal but lost hair due to Covid. sad

I'm currently using Nutrafol which seems to be working. It's been almost two months and I've noticed hair growth on my temples which was gone after Covid.

The only negative is you have to take it after a good meal. I have acid reflux and if I don't have a full stomach I'm in pain.

Also, the recommended dose is four pills per day, but bc of my acid reflux I'm taking two. Not sure if the suggested dose would make a huge difference, but I decided on my own to cut it in half and I am seeing a decent improvement. I believe it takes about six months for a really noticeable change.

posts: 12195   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2009   ·   location: Northeast
id 8779475

staystrong101 ( member #41068) posted at 6:41 PM on Sunday, February 26th, 2023

I didn’t have any luck with Nutrafol and I thought it was kind of pricey. My dermatologist has prescribed 2 oral meds: Spironolactone and Minoxidil. Minoxidil is rogaine, but it now comes in a pill form. When I first started taking it, there was extra shedding. Don’t worry, this is normal. Now I notice very few hairs in my hairbrush. I was told these meds slow or stop the process but they don’t cause hair to regrow. Good luck! I never thought this would be an issue but so many women seem to be struggling with this!!

posts: 681   ·   registered: Oct. 21st, 2013   ·   location: United States
id 8779484

Charity411 ( member #41033) posted at 6:54 PM on Sunday, February 26th, 2023

I went through this and assumed it was menopause or stress. I went to the doctor for joint pain and exhaustion and it turned out I was Hypoglycemic. I take thyroid medication once a day and my hair has grown back thicker than ever. I had no idea thinning hair could be a symptom of that.

posts: 1731   ·   registered: Oct. 18th, 2013   ·   location: Illinois
id 8779487

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 2:52 AM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

Thank you ladies. @ staystrong101, I'll check with my physician. I have an annual coming up soon. I'll see what she recommends and mention your prescriptions. @Charity411, I'm not hypoglycemic. I pretty much know it's menopause. Had several extensive panels of blood work done a few months ago for other stuff.

id 8779548

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 3:18 AM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

I went to the doctor for joint pain and exhaustion and it turned out I was Hypoglycemic. I take thyroid medication once a day

Do you mean you were hypothyroid? That's what someone would take thyroid medication for.

And yes, StillLivin - if you had a blood panel a few months ago, they would have likely tested you for that.

I've taken Synthroid for almost 30 years now after having a partial thyroidectomy due to nodules. I've been lucky with my endocrinologist/PCP as they really understand that you have to look at more than TSH and free T4; they should also look at free T3. And in my case, because I have nodules on the remaining thyroid, they add a couple of other tests.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8779549

Charity411 ( member #41033) posted at 6:06 PM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

Number4. Duh. Yes, hypothyroidism

posts: 1731   ·   registered: Oct. 18th, 2013   ·   location: Illinois
id 8779629

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 9:02 PM on Monday, February 27th, 2023

Hair loss is usually impacted by something physical/emotional that happened about3-4 mos prior to the shedding/thinning event. So if you can Covid, or bad illness then the loss is not immediate, it comes later, and response to any treatment takes as long to see if it's really helping.
Increasing collagen definitely will help, washing less will slow the loss, it's still gonna happen, but will allow your body more time to rebound, and correct what is imbalanced.
Hormonal changes, thyroid issues, poor nutrition are usually the factors that will cause loss to the point where it is problematic.
Making sure you are also getting enough protein daily is HUGE in recovery from hair loss, 80 grams a day for women, 100 for men. Yap that's a lot of protein, but you have to have it to have the resources to grow it. Hair and nails are are one of the first things to suffer from poor nutrition. Many of us that are here for the same reason have experienced hair loss during that time too due to the stress, and inability to eat in those times.

So it is multifactoral to get it back, good diet, supplements of the right nutrients, and removing the stressor that may have been the start of it.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8779661

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 12:32 AM on Tuesday, February 28th, 2023

You guys are great. I didn't expound, I probably should have. First, I'm a science major studying to be a dietitian so I already know quite a bit about all of these medical issues as well as proper macros. Second, yes, they checked me for a LOT because it was for something else. Had a kidney function panel, liver fx panel, thyroid (T3, T4, and free both), histamine, lipids, some vitamin deficiencies, etc. So I am 99.9% sure it's just basic hormones from menopause. Oh, and I have Hashimoto's as well as T2D. So I know about levothyroxine, etc.
It's not even a lot of hair loss, I'm just vain about my beautiful locks and wanted to prevent further loss.
@Charity411, I had wondered about you talking about hypoglycemia AND thyroid function. Lol, I thought you meant you had two different medical issues causing you hair loss. laugh
Again, thanks ladies. You guys are the best and always thorough!

id 8779695

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:04 PM on Tuesday, February 28th, 2023

StillLivin - how about some HRT? See if that helps, it may also minimize the other fun stuff that comes w/ it.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8779764

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 3:31 AM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

Yes, I was going to bring that up at my physical. Fortunately for me, all the other menopause symptoms have passed me by. Hopefully it remains that way. I have fibroid, endometriosis, PCOS, and Hashimoto's. For 20 of my 40 years experiencing periods, I was absolutely miserable. I've had to have D&Cs, cyst removal surgery, and often bled for months at a time instead of days, so I'll take this blessing thank you very much! grin

id 8779935

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 5:52 AM on Thursday, March 2nd, 2023

Hashimoto disease affects the thyroid, which can cause hair loss. Plus, thyroid deficiencies can contribute to brittle finger nails and even depression.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8780199

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 6:26 AM on Thursday, March 2nd, 2023

Which is why I have a full thyroid panel and histamine lab work done each 6 months. Ive been on Levothyroxine for 20 years. smile

id 8780204

Marie2792 ( member #44958) posted at 3:51 PM on Thursday, March 2nd, 2023

I am going through this now. Started late December using Mielle Rosemary and Nioxin shampoo as well as a scalp massager. I have seen new hair growing around week 7 and I am cautiously optimistic. Most people recommend OTC off brand mens rogaine found at Sam’s club or Costco. I opted not because it can result in heart incidents or facial hair.

Me: BS,48 (41 at dday)Him: WS, 56 (49 at dday)
Married 27 years, together 30
Dday : 9/9/14 3 week PA

posts: 4854   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2014   ·   location: NYC
id 8780269

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 3:22 PM on Friday, March 3rd, 2023

I have severe hair loss. I finally shaved it on the sides and have about 3/4 inch on the top. I prefer it for summer.

BS Fwh

id 8780532

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 4:14 AM on Saturday, March 4th, 2023

This is all so very interesting to me. I have been having the same issues with hair loss. And fingernail peeling.

My hair goes down to just below my rear end, but the last couple of feet is practically no hair at all.

I have low thyroid. I have been taking Armour Thyroid off and on for a few years, first at 30 mg per day then up to 60, then up to 90. Then after a blood test about a year ago, I was taken off of it altogether. Then, after six months of not taking it at all, I am back on 60 mg a day again. except I don’t even take it.

Mine is hypothyroidism, and the term Hashimoto’s has been used. I have been trying to decide if I should see an endocrinologist rather than just depend on my GP. Is that right… Endocrinologist? For Thyroid?

Actually, my GP has retired recently, and I haven’t even seen his replacement for myself. I have been to see him with my husband, and I am not impressed.

Anyway, I’m older than God, and my once pretty blond hair is now a sickly shade of something in the brown family. I have been thinking about just chopping it off, but 69 years is a long time to have the same hair, and I don’t know if I’m up for the change.

Y’all, please keep posting about what things seem to help you. I can’t imagine how nice it would be to be able to brush my hair in the morning and not come up with a fist full of hair from the brush.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8780717

StillLivin (original poster member #40229) posted at 5:21 AM on Saturday, March 4th, 2023

What's Right, yessss!!! See an endocrinologist. Hashimoto's isn't something to play with. It can affect your health in other ways. I get tested every 6 months and see my endocrinologist about every 2 years for all kinds of other labs to see what's going in in my body.

id 8780723

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 11:11 AM on Saturday, March 4th, 2023

Yeah, I think I may. When I google hypothyroidism I see a list of 10-12 symptoms and I have all of them but 1…something about periods.

And I’m about 25 years past all of that. So…..

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8780735

1girlsmom ( member #63541) posted at 12:18 AM on Sunday, March 5th, 2023

I tried collagen powder mix. I put it in my shakes but you can just mix it with water.
I started getting new growth & less falling out.
I use Dr. Axe brand & find it at Whole Food grocery store.

id 8780814

ChewedMeUp ( member #8008) posted at 2:52 PM on Monday, March 6th, 2023

Mine, sadly, is genetic (mom, sister, son all thin/balding) and dermatologists have basically told me that if minoxidil doesn't work (it didn't for me, but is helping my son), I'm SoL.

I have been doing extra vitamins and such, and collagen (no matter what it says, "tasteless" still tastes of the raw gelatin!), and things haven't gotten too much worse, but definitely not much better.

Might just be time for me to start figuring out wigs because I'm quite sure I'll look awful bald! laugh

BS - over 40
DivorcED, finally.
2 Kids

posts: 657   ·   registered: Aug. 26th, 2005   ·   location: Baltimore, MD
id 8780958
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy