Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenbiscuits

Off Topic :
Saying Goodbye to my NB Pup

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 4:57 AM on Thursday, December 8th, 2022

Sending ((virtual hugs)) and positive thoughts. I am so sorry for your loss.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8768604

Chili (original poster member #35503) posted at 8:57 PM on Monday, December 12th, 2022

Thank you all so much for your words - I've re-read them several times this week as I trudge.

Anyone have some memorializing/ritual stuff they've done? Would love to hear.

I have a tabletop tree I put up every Christmas with picture ornaments of my dogs - and other dog-themed ones. I put it up back over Thanksgiving with chili dog's ornament for 2022. Might just have to leave it up long after the season.

[This message edited by Chili at 5:42 PM, December 12th (Monday)]

2012 pretty much sucked.
Things no longer suck.
Took off flying solo with the co-pilot chili dog.
"Life teaches you how to live it if you live long enough" - Tony Bennett

posts: 2235   ·   registered: May. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: Reality
id 8769244

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 10:16 PM on Monday, December 12th, 2022

I love your tree idea. I have one picture ornament and a few other dog ornaments.

I still have my girl's leash and collar from nine years ago. I still can't part with them.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8769258

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 12:10 AM on Tuesday, December 13th, 2022

Well, not sure if you would think we are going a bit overboard with memorializing, but below is what we have done and are still doing. The hurt is still hitting in major waves, but this has helped me: a construction project for our dog's final resting place.

It started out as just a necessity: digging him a grave the day after Thanksgiving, when we learned that no area vets do post-mortems and the state vet lab was closed for 4 days. It quickly morphed into an inspiration for a 12 foot long, 3 foot high retaining wall of landscape block I would build just downhill of where we laid him. The idea for that hit me just after WH expressed his wish that the dog's remains be sited "on the higher ground, overlooking the garden and the barn he spent his time at every day."

WH pushed up tons of dirt with his huge tractor bucket, in order to scalp up enough from the slope to adequately bury the big dog. It was an emergency move - we had to do what we had to do - but it tore up the hillside. Next, I located a pallet of used wall blocks that was exactly enough to build a 12 foot long wall and cap it, with even a little mid-section set one course higher: a simple, serene solution to all that dirt we disturbed. It took me a week to build the gravel foundation, put up 12 feet of retaining wall, and then dump in and shovel 2 tons of gravel behind the blocks.

And as this was getting done, I recalled there is electricity up at our old well house, so my next embellishment will be to run underground cable from that building down to the wall, run it up inside the block, drill a hole in the top cap and install a lantern to shine over where he spent his happy years, despite it serving as only a poor reflection of the way he lit up our lives. I then realized how an electric outlet up there could also allow for a little holiday illumination during any remaining years here without him, so he will never be forgotten as we decorate for the season he loved the most.

See how 'creativity' can quickly get out of control?

I'm surprised at how the hard work of it all seems to be helping me cope with this loss. At my age, this project took time, some minor skin scrapes and sore muscles, even having heavy equipment doing the major earth moving. But each day I made progress on his gravesite, I could sense I was repaying a bit more of the debt I owe this dog, just for being the super animal he was to us all. I am transforming our memories of him into a long-lasting, visible aspect of our farmyard landscape - and I think he would "approve," since he always liked to supervise my work in the garden dirt. Then when I got done, he'd make a point of walking deliberately across my newly-tilled up beds, just to put his paw prints into the freshly-raked mounds of dirt.

Maybe finding a creative outlet and producing a tangible "memorial" you'll always associate with your beloved Chili Dog would help you, as well?

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8769272

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 12:43 AM on Tuesday, December 13th, 2022

With one pet, I created a scrap book just about him. That was lost, so now I just have a little stack of the boxes with their ashes (with their collars) in my kitchen on a shelf and on a wall I have framed pics of them all in identical frames. So they are always with me.
I do also have one of those mugs you can personalize with an image of a person and a pet with angel wings sitting together. So I have coffee with that cat, too.

Do what feels right.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8769276

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 12:04 PM on Tuesday, December 13th, 2022

I have plaster paws, scrapbook pages with there pictures, my daughter has ashes from her service dog. She plans to get a necklace made with some of his ashes.

BS Fwh

id 8769308

Chili (original poster member #35503) posted at 12:44 AM on Sunday, January 22nd, 2023

Thank you all for the wonderful memorial ideas. I think I have a game plan on that front come Spring.

Wanted to share that I've been putting my dog love and experience towards something that feels like a good way to honor chili dog.

I've started helping train service dogs and although it's sometimes achy for my still-tender heart, it feels pretty much right to offer some of my time this way. Onward (with little paw steps).

Thanks again y'all for having my back during this.

2012 pretty much sucked.
Things no longer suck.
Took off flying solo with the co-pilot chili dog.
"Life teaches you how to live it if you live long enough" - Tony Bennett

posts: 2235   ·   registered: May. 2nd, 2012   ·   location: Reality
id 8774249

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 6:52 PM on Sunday, January 22nd, 2023

I have my favorite picture of my rainbow pup that I had printed as a 4x4 print. Got a small canvas that the picture is decopaged onto, and it sits on a small easel in my bookcase. When my anxiety is high, I'll move the picture to be in my line of sight.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8774300

whatisloveanyway ( member #66450) posted at 6:58 PM on Sunday, January 22nd, 2023

Chili, I have pet picture ornaments for the tree, nothing fancy, just pictures glued onto construction paper cut to look like ornaments. It's nice to have a memento. We also planted a tree and are having a memorial stone made for our boy so we have something to look at year round.
Hope your pain lessens each day.

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8774302
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy