Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
Packing/clothing for a week in europe

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:23 PM on Tuesday, September 27th, 2022

Thanks Luna and Zen

I wasn't sure if tipping people like the Cab, people who take things to the room etc was expected etc.

The scarf idea is a great idea

I am going to try to find a scarf and a couple of neutral or coordinating blouses to match a cardigan I have. I am guessing a blazer for my travel companion.

The city is actually Ghent :)

But there will be more travel.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8757206

ZenMumWalking ( Guide #25341) posted at 9:21 PM on Tuesday, September 27th, 2022

It's 'taxi' not 'cab' laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A (small by US standards) tip is generally appreciated.

Me (BS), Him (WH): late-50's
3 DS: 26, 25, 22
M: 30+ (19 1/2 at Dday)
Dday: Dec 2008
Wanted R, not gonna happen (in permanent S)
Used to be DeadMumWalking, doing better now

posts: 8533   ·   registered: Aug. 28th, 2009   ·   location: EU
id 8757258

Luna10 ( member #60888) posted at 9:28 PM on Tuesday, September 27th, 2022

Uber taxi is very popular here so at the end you have an option to tip, they do appreciate it.

Hotel bellboys tipping is also a thing when they take your bags to your room similar to US.

Dday - 27th September 2017

posts: 1852   ·   registered: Oct. 2nd, 2017   ·   location: UK
id 8757261

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 1:51 AM on Wednesday, September 28th, 2022

Thanks Luna

The taxi is provided but I will still have some cash ahead of time in case to tip for luggage etc.

id 8757296

Bigger ( Attaché #8354) posted at 10:47 AM on Wednesday, September 28th, 2022

I just came back from a week in Italy (Lake Garda)
When I unpacked back home I took out 1 unused shirt, 1 unused jeans, 2 unused polo shirts, 2 pairs of socks and 2 boxers. I could have skipped carrying all that stuff plus probably a shirt and 2 polo’s (I changed simply because I had the extra’s).
I’m an experienced traveler, but I think I need to take less in the future.

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." Epictetus

id 8757325

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 2:22 PM on Wednesday, September 28th, 2022

I’m an experienced traveler, but I think I need to take less in the future.

That's almost always the case. It's so easy to throw extra in as you are packing just in case. We were in Ireland in March. Both of us packed enough sweaters and sweatshirts for everyday just in case. That ended up being an extra suitcase. There was a heat wave the 10 days we were there and we seldom had as much as a jacket on. The funny thing is we invariably end up doing wash at least once. I think I'm limiting myself to half the pants and shirts I think I need next time. Worst case I get to buy some international clothing.

id 8757343

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 2:41 AM on Tuesday, October 4th, 2022

So curious but how does wash work over there in a 4 star hotel?
Like do they have bags you put it in and pay to have it done?
You can tell that I have lived under a rock apparently the past several decades so if the question seems simplistic....

id 8758129

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 7:01 AM on Tuesday, October 4th, 2022

Hahaha never stayed anywhere that fancy- I just wash in the sink 😂

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8758140

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 3:39 PM on Tuesday, October 4th, 2022

So curious but how does wash work over there in a 4 star hotel?

Ask at the desk when you check in. They'll give you a bag if there isn't one already in the room and tell you how to make the arrangements. We're too cheap to pay for someone to do the wash. We generally just find a laundry mat if there aren't machines onsite and do it ourselves. It's good downtime after dashing to and fro for a few days.

id 8758166

Bigger ( Attaché #8354) posted at 5:13 PM on Tuesday, October 4th, 2022

Four-star hotel?
They have bags in the room, pay per item (through the nose!) and it usually takes at least a day. I.e. they pick it up when they clean the room and return it when they clean the next day.
Three-star might have their own washing machine and dryer available as self-service for customers.
Laundromats aren’t really big or common in Europe. Varies between countries and possibly more common in bigger cities.
I once grabbed the wrong bag when packing and was stuck on a 2-week business-trip with three pairs of boxers, at a four star hotel. It was cheaper for me to go to the mall across the street and buy what was missing than have it washed.

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." Epictetus

id 8758184

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 4:10 AM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

Bigger

I laughed with you about the cheaper to go across the street and buy than get washed story.

A family member and I also laugh (sort of since it irks us actually) about the fact that you pay so much more for a 4 star hotel and yet a hostel or 2 star hotel can sometimes be cleaner and gives you a place to wash clothes and free coffee and breakfast haha 😂 whereas the 4 and 5 star hotels charge you $10 for a cup of coffee in the morning and $5 to wash a shirt.

I have often been gifted travel in my new life because people have surplus miles, spare rooms, companion passes, extra space at their campsite etc.

The person who is gifting me this opportunity will have some business-related clothing needs, so thanks for the info!!

I have been blessed to put together a decent travel wardrobe on my current rather low budget. I don't have a checked size suitcase any more so am going to check an international carry-on size bag (one is included with my ticket in preferred economy).

It's United. I will pack some snacks, a plug in American cell phone charger etc.

Any insights into how to find out whether we get a laptop bag or purse AND a carryon bag like a duffle each are welcome...

My cell phone carrier says my watch is included in the $10 a day overseas fee. So we may choose to use Verizon since I apparently have an electronic Sim in my phone. I am not sure how to use a local carrier with that..I was going to buy local prepaid and data call.

I have an RFID sleeve on my passport and loaded Google wallet with a prepaid visa (gift from some spare credit card points).

I have TSA pre check from my prior life. Global reentry was impossible to schedule.

My health insurance does not cover overseas so any suggestions about travel insurance are welcome.
That will be covered for me too. I just have to choose which one to buy.

Seems like the Karma Bus is stopping and delivering
🌺🌹which feels good.

Thanks to all for the insights.

id 8758263

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 8:22 PM on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

Any insights into how to find out whether we get a laptop bag or purse AND a carryon bag like a duffle each are welcome.

United and American is personal item (laptop bag, backpack, or shoulder bag) and carry on.

United specific definitions.

Personal items, such as shoulder bags, backpacks or laptop bags need to fit under the seat in front of you, so they must be 9 in. x 10 in. x 17 in. (22 cm. x 25 cm. x 43 cm.) or smaller.

The maximum size a carry-on bag can be for it to fit in the overhead bin in 9 in. x 14 in. x 22 in. (22 cm. x 35 cm. x 56 cm.), including any handles or wheels.

My health insurance does not cover overseas so any suggestions about travel insurance are welcome.

We used GeoBlue voyager (Blue Cross Blue Shield). No idea about how well it works as we didn't use it. It was relatively painless to acquire and was affordable. All of the plans had caveats at the time for countries on the CDC level 4 advisories which was pretty much all of them.

[This message edited by grubs at 8:23 PM, Wednesday, October 5th]

id 8758328

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 12:47 PM on Friday, October 7th, 2022

Thanks for the Geo Blue link!!

Looks like I will be taking the train to Paris for the day :) and maybe Germany another day.

That could be a lot of fun!

I am not planning to take my driver's license. I am taking public transport to the airport. Unless someone gives me a reason I need it.

This trip is huge for me. I will be posting a bit about it in another part of the forums. But am very grateful to everyone who gave advice and helped me get the bags packed and ready.

id 8758504
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy